Fanatec Driver 457 Release Candidate for CSL, ClubSport and Podium (all wheels)

Comments

• Nathaniel WuNathaniel Wu Member
    edited June 6

I just noticed that there seems to be a button cross-talk problem with DD+ & Podium Button Module Endurance on PlayStation 5. I'm using DD+, Podium Hub, and PBME, all updated to whatever firmware versions that come with the PC driver 457.

In all three PlayStation modes of DD+, either one of the square button or the cross button on the PBME will register as both buttons pressed simultaneously on PS5. This doesn't happen when used on PC. I've also tested with different wheels (Formula V2.5 and Universal Hub V2), and the corresponding buttons (in PS mode) don't have the same issue on PS5.

It's reported before, but for some reason the system doesn't allow me to quote and reply.

• Forum is broken due to... well, obvious reasons so nobody is fixing it.

I believe I saw the issue you described before. The response was that they were investigating and would fix it in future firmwares. Who knows how many years it will take.

• This happens on BMR also. Im using DD+ with Podium Hub and BMR on PC.

I get TC and ABS adjustments in AMS2 when pressing a button to set to look behind me quite often. It happens with other buttons to, but this is the one I press more often. I had assumed it was a BMR issue, and have been waiting for updates, but I guess it goes further than that.

I also get Multi Input Errors sometimes when I am trying to bind buttons in games.

I also have no idea if this post is posting....

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

CS DD disconnection issue

I've got a new quick release test firmware for the CS DD which has a potential fix for the disconnection issue. Please write me a PM if you have the issue regularly and would be interested to test if it solves the issue for you.

Thanks for the continues help with these complicated issues. Meanwhile we've received some affected bases but unfortunately it was still not easy to reproduce the issue and work on a fix, hopefully we are now a significant step closer to get rid of the issue.

• Thank you Marcel and Maurice for keeping us informed and trying your best amidst this negativity.

• Neil ReubenNeil Reuben Member
    edited June 6

@Nathaniel Wu yes this issue on PS was introduced in BME FW 24 w Driver 454 and on, which added Full Force setting option to the tuning menu. Previous version was 22 introduced on Driver 450 and skipped 23 after issues were discovered on 452. It’s somewhat ignorable depending on game/mode but as there’s no Full Force yet to set, I’m thinking of seeing if I can downgrade to 22. I’ll let you know

Yes Maurice confirmed it has been reported but no fix is likely near future

And yes big thx Maurice and Marcel

• Well im not sure anymore the MISSSHIFTS are button modules only, with EBM and BMR i have both downshift and upshift issues, with the mclaren V2 i have only upshift issues... this is getting annoying and would like to know if something is being done to address this or if there is some driver/firmware i should be using .... i am on a Podium DD1 if that matters ... kinda sad but atm its becoming a choire to play due to this ...

• @Nathaniel Wu so I downgrade the PBME to 22 and the issue is still there, so I was wrong about that, sorry. Seems its an issue w the base or the WQR fw so someday

Note to downgrade to 22 requires 451 but that does not recognize the DD+ so I had to dig out the DD Pro to make that change

• Good evening,

I was able to try the new firmware concerning the CS DD+ deconection problem.

I don't want to claim victory too early but it seems to work. I was able to play for 2 hours this evening without any disconnection. This was impossible before.

I hope other people will be able to try it and tell us the results.

QR version 1.1.0.3

I think Marcel Pfister is on the right track 

• The more of us try it the quicker we get the solution hopefully. I would but mine has gone for an unrelated warranty repair but if it’s still in the test phase when I get it back I will gladly test it.

• Glad to hear things are still going the right way.

• I already tried 1.1.0.3, still got a freeze for a couple of seconds. Will do more testing this weekend.

• edited June 7

Hello,

the GT Extreme product description tells me this:

The Steering Wheel for Gran Turismo® DD Extreme is only compatible with the ClubSport DD / ClubSport DD+ Wheel Bases at this time. Compatibility with other Wheel Bases is planned for a future firmware update.

Is that isssue fixed alreay in Version 457?Because I would like to use that wheel on my Playstation licensed Podium F1 wheel base.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Thorsten

• No, 457 did not added support for the GT DD X on any other base and support is not planned anytime soon AFAIK. Of course still on the list for sometime in the future though.

• Hi Maurice,

first of all thanks for your reply! Due to the fact that it's clearly stated to become available with a future firmware update, I hope it's not questionable whether it will be implemented at all. So I need to be patient.

In best case we might get a perspective from the development team here. If so, many thanks in advance!

• @ Marcel Pfister

Hallo, i sent a PM yesterday but no answer, how can i get the new QR test-firmware ?

• I quote myself: "Of course still on the list for sometime in the future though.".

So it is out of question IF support is coming. It's just not planned immediately in the near future, but at some point in the future it WILL come.

• Now it's quite clear ;). Thanks again and have a great day!

• BWX 232BWX 232 Member

So everything went fine updating the FW for the WQR. But I had a strange issue.

I rebooted a few times already when hooked up to PC. Then I left it in RED PC mode.

I connected wheel to PS5 with PS5 powered off. Then I powered on wheel to get it back to PS mode, then I was going to shut the wheel off, then power on PS5, wait till home screen and then power on wheel which is what I have been doing and seems the most stable for me.

But when I powered on wheel with PS5 off, USB connected to front, the wheel would not go through it's boot routine!

Wheel was frozen, would not switch mode, power off, or respond to any buttons at all.

So I wanted to be careful and not unplug power in that state. I decided to unhook USB from PS5, and as soon as I did that, the wheel completed the boot cycle, like 10 minutes after powering it on! That is very weird.

Anyways so after that all was fine, and I used wheel for a while with no issues on PS5.

My hand brake input is jumping around though, on PC and in GT7. I think it was doing that before though, but forgot to mention it.

GT DD Extreme, PS5, PSVR2 - Driver 457 on PC.

Wheelbase FW 2.1.0.4 "CS_DD_v2.1.0.4_hotfix_disconnection_issue_test_release.eff" manually installed after installing all 457 drivers.

Wheel FW 1.0.7.0 (457) 

Metal QR2

Wireless QR FW 1.1.0.3 (test FW June 7th)

CSL Elite V2 Pedals (hooked up to wheel)

Clubsport handbrake v1.5 (hooked up to wheel)

Base S/N:GR01401xxxx

GT DD X Wheel s/n GQ47302xxxx

I have a ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5, but have not installed it in my simrig yet.

Using old sequential shifter connected to shifter 2 port. (an old one from CSR Xbox wheel)

Set to mimic paddle shifters in driver software on PC. I used it for a while in GT7 today and no problems.

All my freezing issues happened with old sequential shifter connected, and connected to shifter 1 port. Could have been a coincidence.

• Dan HorswellDan Horswell Member
    edited June 7

Hi all

DD EXTREME owner, I’ve been extremely disappointed since I purchased in feb.

plagued by isssue since day dot, wheel freezing, loss of inputs etc. zero help from fanatec themselves.

after reading this entire feed I decided to have a go at trying the different parts of each firmware and I have finally found a stable firmware installation.

previous to this week i tried 455 456 and 457, complete install of each firmware which all had problems.

i am currently on 457 for the wheel and the quick release. I rolled the base back to 456 through the manual firmware update first. Then rolled it back to 455 in the same way.

i have been testing all week for around 4hours every day and I’ve had ZERO issues!

no disconnects, no freezing, no locked inputs nothing! And it’s been absolutely glorious.

im using the fanatec recommended settings for GT7 as per the thread on this forum. On all of the previous FW’s the wheel lasted an hour once with no issues in its longest stint.

if you’d lost all hope of having a working wheel and being able to race again give it a try. I’m so pleased with it right now.

• Looks like some users of DD+ also have troubles with the handbrake not being recognised (or not working properly). Probably worth investigating this problem too.

• BWX 232BWX 232 Member

Here's what my hand brake is doing. I'm thinking it's a problem with hand brake potentiometer but not sure yet.

Clubsport handbrake v1.5 / GT DD X

https://youtu.be/6XVLYw7CdLM

• I'm using the new hotfix and been racing for 5 hours tonight not a single disconnection on my DD+.

Don't want to tempt fate but it seems fixed. What an amazing wheel when you can just enjoy racing.

• So I came to add a comment regarding my DD+ just in case it helps someone or hint to something not known. I am on 455 driver and haven’t done a single firmware update yet - everything seems to be working great so far (although didn’t get the chance to play a lot - 10-20h total give or take) so I didn’t mess with it at all.

Today I turned on base which was in red mode and connected to the PC and was not recognized at all. Switched modes, took the usb on and off - I could hear the USB sound but didn’t see the wheel anywhere nor in the fanatec control panel. Without turning off I switched to blue mode and connected to PS5 where it worked correctly. After that I reconnected to PC and wheel recognized and worked fine.

• So I’ve now done 9 hours of driving time (GT7 on PS5) with the 1.1.0.3 WQR firmware and the DD+ base at the 457 firmware. In those 9 hours I had 4 instances of freezing. 3 times with the McLaren GT3 V2 wheel, once with a CS hub V2 for Xbox. In comparison, the last time I downgraded to 455 base and 456 WQR, I did 12 hours and only had 1 disconnect (FFB and buttons stopped working but I could still steer and pedals still worked).

• Last update from me. Im on 1.1.0.3 with the latest 457 driver. Around 20 hours put in and absolute no issues. The problem on the freezing has gone for me. Hope others can sort it soon. The wheel is amazing when you have confidence it's going to work perfect.

• Serious question - not trying to be a wise a$$.

Why is this FW thing soooo hard for Fanatec to get right? No other major brand struggles in this fashion. In fact, Simagic, Moza, Astetek and Simucube all have wonderful software that works, and does not compromise or limit the hardware experience. I am on driver 457 (using the Clubsport DD)…and while I have no disconnects, ever since updating to this FW, the FFB feels weaker, and not nearly as precise and lacks overall fidelity.

‘Release Candidate’,‘that issue will be fixed in the future, not sure when’, ‘known issue, we’re working on it’, ‘try this hot fix’, ‘planned for a future update’, ‘AFAIK it will be addressed but not sure when as the team is busy and will be released at a later date TBD’…etc. etc.

The list goes on…but sarcasm aside - how do you develop a product and then not have functional FW with SO MANY issues and drawbacks? How does the experience feel vastly different from one FW to the next? Why is the wait time for functional software so long and why all the half-baked updates and release candidates? Truly feels like we are beta testers while Fanatec gets their things in working order. I understand the company is under duress, and I certainly don’t hate Fanatec - but it’s high time to get a handle on matters. It’s sad that after all these years and some truly innovative products customers are left in the dark with long delays not only in terms of customer support, but in terms of software that actually enables use-value and seamless functionality for hardware that isn’t broken but is being hamstrung by crappy code.

The base code that handles FFB is clearly flawed…instead of trying to patch it (which seems like it just dilutes the experience and introduces more issues), why not just start from the ground up and develop a proper FW that WORKS? Why does one FW to the next feel so different? Each release cures issues for some, and introduces problems for others 🤷‍♂️

Does each wheelbase contain different electronic components? How can some bases be ok and others not on the FW side? It signals that the base FW is corrupted and needs a fresh start.

Sorry it’s just crazy to me and sad at the same time because the recipe for awesome products is there, but somehow it’s all falling to pieces by way of shoddy product support on the FW end.

Rant over…and FWIW, I think the Clubsport is an awesome product, but the FW really needs to get ‘right’, otherwise I (and likely many others), will jump ship to the competition where one can buy a product and enjoy it ‘out of the box’ without this constant FW insanity.

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited June 10

they not realy use high end military components. so there is around +-15% components value changes. something like this could cause issues.

another could be that they removed some components at board by save money but without proper testing that can be devastating.

third can be that factory who assemble just made somewhere mistake with numbers, it is by default mass production,there would be allot bad units if something like this happens

there no other explanation for this if some stuff works just fine and another not

• I work in the electronics industry on the component side. I understand variances, and multi-source bills of materials and interchangeability on the component side. As far as the MCU (this what holds the FW and is the brain of the PCB), it is very unlikely that they are using multiple sources…MCU and board-level design simply doesn’t work that way. Now if they changed other/surrounding components, like memory or logic type parts, yes that can affect interoperability.

That said, the functionality should have been tested beforehand. As far as manufacturing, that is possible to have some tolerances but as far as PCB design and layout, there should not be huge variances from one unit to the next. What this could be actually is the actual PCB design, and perhaps there are some board-level issues that aren’t related to the components themselves.

Either way, it’s a true mystery…very strange and hope they get it figured out.

I believe it is simply a case of poorly written code…

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited June 10

if talk about code. bad code could burn even components down. if make mistake in inputs our outputs at in microchip .

mosfet transistors are little caprice as well for wrong values. little here and there and you would have a faulty device

i personally i guess they have somewhere time bomb at hardware as users talk device work just fine and one day when turn that on it was just dead.

software could cause this as well but i not know that.

---

i could todo one example for hardware time bomb. we tested product at work full day. everything was fine. and when customer get that. at him its just burn down.