What wheels are compatible to a Clubsport DD out of the box - QR1, QR2?

Hey guys, I am a little bit confused. I am considering to buy a Clubsport DD wheelbase. According to the technical data, it uses Quick Release 2.

So then, I go to the wheels to find myself a wheel. All wheels I have been looking through apparently use Quick Release 1. They also say that I can upgrade them to QR 2, apparently with one of these adapters:

Am I right?

I do not intend to spend another 100-200 EUR on just an adapter. So which wheels are compatible right out of the box (with the full 12nm) without another 100-200 EUR to be spent? Or have I overlooked something?

Comments

• edited February 25

None.

Every wheel still comes with QR1 for free and you need to upgrade to QR2 on your own during the 2 year transition period. Except the BMW M4, that one now comes with QR2 Pro by default.

So yes, every wheel configured with QR2 is more expensive.

• BMW M4 GT3 (1.500€) is QR2 out of the box (although there are exceptions delivered and these customers are desperately waiting to get the promised QR2 and more important the mandatory cable you need for updating the firmware).

Podium Steering Wheel Monte Carlo Rally (700€) also comes with a QR2 out of the box. But this wheel does not have shifter paddles included because modern WRC cars have gear levers.

For all other current wheels you need a separate QR2.

There are at least some wheels you can choose QR2 during order process. In this case it‘s not included in the price and will cost you 100 for standard QR2.

In case you didn’t know, you shouldn’t choose QR2 Lite because wheel base will reduce torque; and you don’t need QR2 Pro - QR2 is the perfect option.

If you can wait for a nobody knows amount of time the QR2 wheel bases will get a QR1 kit and the wheels will take another ~2 years until being delivered with QR2.

• Ok, understood, so I will need the QR2 Standard.

Another question two questions:

1) as far as I understood, the wheel also needs to support a torque of 12nm if I want to get the full potential out ouf the Clubsport DD. Seemingly, there is no indication in the technical data of the respective wheel in the shop of what torque it supports. How do I know if a wheel supports 12nmn?

2) If I take the Gran Turismo Extreme Package, I have a 15nm base and a wheel supporting 15nm right out of the box, right (without additional QR2 adapter)? My idea: if I take a Clubsport DD and the QR2 adapter, it is already 900 EUR. If I get a decent wheel, it will be close to 1300 EUR and then I have 12nm. Is the wheel of the Gran Turismo Extreme Package ok? Or will I be able to get a wheel for 400 EUR that makes the overall package with the Clubsport DD better?

1. You can dig through all the pages to figure out if they support 12nm. But every page has been updated with all the info. Honestly, every wheel that's under $299 and made of plastic will be limited to 8nm, except for the Extreme Wheel, and MAYBE the McLaren GT3 wheel? McLaren has a note at the bottom of the page that states its capable of High Torque with QR1 which would be the same for QR2.
    2. If i understand you correctly. You're looking for a CS DD or a CS DD+ for the best buy?

CS DD+ Extreme comes with QR2 Lite and is capable of 15nm = $1299 USD

CS DD with any wheel capable of full torque is $299 plus $99 for QR2 Standard. Capable of 12 nm Total cost = is about $1199 USD

If you just want a single wheel. I'd go for the DD Extreme for now. Get the extra torque and ps compatibility for 99 bucks? who knows. you might want it later.

Then. When the SimBug gets you, you can get a better wheel later. The Extreme is probably one of the best all rounders they've made for starter packages.

• I can totally exclude that I will have a PS5 one day. And indeed, the McLaren GT3 wheel is an option, I saw a review on Youtube according to which it can do 12nm.

Are you totally sure that the wheel that comes with the DD+ is capable of 15nm or even 12nm? If it comes with QR2 Lite it is limited to 8nm, is it not? And, unfortunately I cannot remember where, I think I read that also the wheel itself is limited to 8nm.

• Yes. 100 percent. Fanatec approved.

Tear down of the how and the why they are letting it do 15nm here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASX04inDPi8&t=6s Auto Translate CC if needed.

• well QR2 lite can hold kind off even 200nm but don't get fooled, because the important is that the pins self needs survive that all aswell