Why upcharge for QR2 when buying Rim with the CSDD?

With the announcement of the ClubSport DD I think it may be time for an upgrade.

Although I am a bit confused as to the logic behind the release of the QR2 in relation to the purchase of a new wheelbase and steering wheel combo.

I am currently a happy owner of the ClubSport v2.5 with the ClubSport Formula Black. and v3 Pedals. The steering wheel is not upgradeable to the QR2, so it is either put a QR1 on the new technology (not really a choice I think) or embrace the QR2 and get a new steering wheel as well. I get it sometimes things become outdated, if not obsolete.

I am planning on upgrading to the newly announced ClubSport DD and one of the Formula steering wheels. And this is where it gets confusing for me. The CSDD comes with the QR2 but the steering wheel I want to purchase you either chose the QR1 at no cost and have to revert the CSDD to QR1 or purchase the QR2 for $99.

I understand the committment to the prior generation of hardware (I own it) but investing in the newer technology and essentially an upcharge to take advantage of it seems awkward.

Worse case scenario would be crediting the cost of the QR1 from the QR2, but to charge full retail on the QR2 when purchasing the base and a wheel, again seems a bit much.

Thank you

Comments

• they to tell that there will be also qr1 adapter for this ClubSport DD

• Currently all wheels that come with metal QR1 have seen a price decrease of €50. So upcharge to go to QR2 now is €50. Currently it looks like they didn't had the time to update the bundles/CRM to allow normally pricing of the QR. But wanted to release the QR2 to not have stock that will not be sold.

So currently if you want to be early adapter you have to pay €50 more to have it with QR2. Probably if you are going to wait a few months they found the time to update there bundles and wheel prices will be back to normal when buying with QR2. So that the Formula wheel will be back to €399 including QR2.

I would wait till it's more clear how they want to transition to QR2 and pricing matches what you indeed would expect without the upcharge in combination with a wheel.

• In fact they do, however a QR2 is on the CSDD which would mean I would have to purchase a QR1 -Base to retrofit the CSDD. My point is they are mismatching items deliberately to make you purchase one or the other which seems odd to me.

• Thank you, I think that is what I am going to do is be patient and wait, as I want to believe this is just an oversight.

• i think they full system are atm mismatching, people here is screaming that they buy QR1, but instead they are getting a QR1 Little

• Maybe by then they also released the QR1 axle for the new CS DD so you have to option to buy that instead. So you can keep using the older wheels without user changable QR that are stuck with a QR1.

• the answer is simple - they want to make money.

it's very stupid to go buy anything from them now. buying csdd with QR2 and a steering wheel with QR1, plus you have to buy QR2 for the steering wheel (€100) is extremely stupid. you get the excess you paid, which is QR1 that you don't need.

for existing users will make a QR1 adapter for installation on csdd? that's an even stupider prank. offer old users an extra discount for buying 3, 4, 5 or more pieces if they need them. let's say one third of the price for one piece, reality. and they admitted that the product had a fault and they themselves said that they had learned from their mistakes over the years. yes to the mistakes that existing users have paid for.

why did they reduce the prices of steering wheels? well, because the competition is forcing them and because they planned to launch QR2 on the market with a new product. if the steering wheel used to cost €350, now it costs €300. why should that mean that when they screw up the QR2 that it should cost €350 again.

the competition is strong and will be even stronger and more favorable. so don't be fooled that people will pay for a more expensive product without coverage.

they've been blowing everything for quite some time now. there are a lot of dissatisfied people. they have no right to be arrogant anymore if they want success.

now they have to provide a very high quality product, for a lower price than the competition.

csdd? nothing has been proven yet. only when people start driving on it and if it proves to be a reliable, solid, stable and non-perishable creation, only then could success be guaranteed. I think csdd has a future, but time will tell.

• of-course they want make money, as that is about all company's in the world, without money there would be also no changes, without money you would not even could have enjoy atm this qr1 and instead have this weird looking holder, also without money you would not have right now the DD

• other companies in the world do not drag users by the nose for 2 years, like those with QR2. and even if they wanted to go on the market with that product, then it is done wholesale. and not like some third-rate company from the basement that is just entering the market and has no money to market the product.

other companies invest in order to get a return. this is how serious professional companies work.

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited October 2023

without other companies your dd would cost 4000 euros

not happy with fanatec?

go ahead

this

they are the first ones who made a marked the direct drive, cheap eh ?

• how do you behave? who are you to push people away? why do you think that you are the important person here? fanatec doesn't need people like you who are this selfish and single-minded.

so they need criticism in order to improve in all areas where they make mistakes.

• I would add that I am glad that Fanatec decided to adopt the technology used by Moza. their Slanted-pole Design is now implemented in csdd. it is good that they learn from each other's mistakes and implement what is good. however, I think that QR is still a better option with Moza and Simagic.

competition is healthy for everyone, and it can only bring good and favorable benefits to us users.

https://mozaracing.com/r12-wheel-base

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited October 2023

i push people away? you are here who cry about money

i to have already qr2 what about you?

you talk about moza like they are some-sort god but this FluxBarrier technology is not even from moza self

• however, I see that you are not an important factor for fanatec. unfortunately they also have to have their own troll.

FluxBarrier technology or Slanted-pole Design as they call it, maybe is not even from moza itself. but it is not proper for a fanatec to say that it is their intellectual work.

• i not say its from fanatec either as its a patented, but you should not salute this moza either like they are somesort gods

• nice to see everyone improving the hardware for us. but it is not right to privatize something that is not yours

• that FluxBarrier version what moza use for they products, overheats, so user are forced reduce the nm

• Without customers, they won’t have any money to spend on all their sponsorships…without new revenue, they can’t spend, screw the customer. Not a minority opinion it seems.

• I hope my OP did not imply that I was unhappy with Fanatec or their products, I was merely pointing out that buying two pieces of hardware are mismatched by default and I find it puzzling.

If it did trigger some of the negative reactions I apologize.

• edited October 2023

I can promise, it’s not your OP that has triggered negative reactions.

• John EganJohn Egan Member
    edited October 2023

Well I see what you mean, but wasnt it the case that if you bought a wheel last month before QR2 came along the same thing applied to QR1? When I ordered my CSL WRC rim on 21st Sept, just a few days prior to Qr2 release, my choice was to take the QR Lite for free, or pay €99 for QR1. That might not be the same for all rims of course, so maybe it was only on the cheaper wheels that this was the case. How much is a Clubsport v2.5x these days with QR2? I think it was around €370/390 ish, i think? with QR1 not so long ago. That would maybe give you a decent idea I guess.

• but there is one thing, what i point out already, if company have monopoly at market it means they use price how they want,

currently DD makers not have that, what is by default very good for customers, in year 2003 it was not that good because there was company who had monopoly and price was mile high

• Slanted-pole Design used by moza is now used for the first time in R12 after R21. other bases do not have that. R5 and especially R9 were known to overheat and their sensors would reduce the voltage, thereby reducing the ffb while driving for a long time. would say that users who used more than 70% ffb had problems with it. since the last update, everyone has reported en masse that they no longer have a problem with it. so they had more of a software problem than a hardware problem.

in addition, this Slanted-pole Design in R12 has a certificate that it does not overheat, precisely because of this design.

look at 28:06.

that of course he mentions overheating, but that he had no problem driving the R12 for 2 hours. also knows nothing about that engine in the R12. with the fact that he recorded it before the new software arrived

because why I hope that csdd will also be freed from overheating and that it will really last for 2-3 hours and more and keep the same level of ffb and all the details as in the first minute. but all that needs time and testing by people who will prove it in the coming months.

I don't know why fanatec hides information about the encoder and how big the ppr is. or at least I can't find that information anywhere. let's say simagic alpha mini is 10nm, but considering the very good encoder that is built in with high ppr, that base creates one of the best ffb in the class.

it will certainly be interesting to follow in the coming months if there are comparative tests between asetek la prima, simagic alpha mini and fanatec csdd. I think that the middle class of dd wheels from those three companies will be top standard.

• William OtisWilliam Otis Member
    edited October 2023

Ask a question about Fanatec's QR prices, and a Moza patent debate breaks out. You gotta love it! XD

The Clubsport prices dropped by $50 to compensate for the QR1, but the CSL prices did not budge. Now instead of getting a CSL Hub combo, I'm just going to get a CS RS with a Metal QR2. Fanatec's evil plan has worked... apparently.

LOL

• I wasn't aware of the price drop to compensate for the QR changeover prior to OP so I guess it is what it is, as they say. I think I will wait until the CSDD is being delivered to make sure it doesn't have any major issues.

I was hoping a representative could shed some light on how they plan to go forward now that a base is available (on order) that comes standard with a QR2 ,but browsing other threads I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

Lastly your comment about a thread going off the rails it reminds me of the old Tootsie Roll commercial with the wise owl who determined it took three licks to get to the center. If a thread lasts more than that before going moving on to something else is rare. :)

Good to hear from you William, I think we raced together on R3E and Raceroom some years ago?

• William OtisWilliam Otis Member
    edited October 2023

Good hearing from you too David. Yes, the series we raced in was a lot of fun, and a huge learning experience for me. I hardly raced online since though. Too many schedule conflicts on my end to really participate in most of the series I have come across on Discord and other sites.

With the prices lowered, adding the QR2 makes the subtotals too expensive in my opinion. The Podium Classic combo goes from a reasonable $280, to an eye popping $380. And now that I think about it... Its price went up! I remember this wheel combo being $250. Now it's $280? What gives?

Looking at the wheels that did get a lowered price, the end costs are still eye watering. For example, the F1 Esports is a modest $220. Add the QR2 and it's now $320. That is only $10 lower than the Formula 2.5's list price with a QR1. A little too close for comfort IMO.

Seeing these subtotals before tax and shipping really makes me stop and think twice about getting the new QR. I want to jump in, and I would like to get one of the 2x QR2 Lite & shaft combos. But seeing that I will be spending $185 for two QR2 Lites and a shaft, and then having to spend $100 more than the price of every Clubsport steering wheel in Fanatec's shop; isn't all that appealing. Not to mention that all CSL wheels would be $60 more if I got a QR2 Lite for it. Something like the P1 would go from $120 to $180. Or even one of the CSL Uni-Hub combos at $200, would now be $260 before tax S&H.

I think I am going to wait this out. The prices cannot be this unreasonable forever.

• Well, one good thing is with advancing technology and competition the price to consumers generally levels off. I do think from the very early things I read and videos of the Sim Show the ClubSport DD sounds like it could be a very good value for a direct drive.

I wonder if the Podium series may be the white elephant for Fanatec at some point. I have read posts that Podium owners are speculating the CSDD may be a better performing unit based on the telemetry provided so far. It will be interesting to see what Fanatec has up their sleeve in regards to putting those thoughts to rest.

The CSDD isn't even scheduled to begin shipping for about three weeks and perhaps for Black Friday a package will be put together with a QR2 wheel side for us budget minded veterans of sim racing that makes it irresistible. I'm with you and will be patient, meanwhile I listed my CSW v2.5 and Formula Black for sale to see if there is interest in what looks to be the last of the belt driven bases made. Perhaps it will be a collectors item? LOL

• edited October 2023

Just a quick question: I also have a Clubsport 2.5, and a F12020 Clubsport Limited Edition steering wheel (hardware is the formula 2.5). I'm very tempted to upgrade to the Clubsport DD, but I don't understand if:

- the podium advanced paddle module is compatible;

- the steering wheel is compatible or needs something (QR2?) to exploit all 12Nm.

Thanks!

• David DeGreefDavid DeGreef Member
    edited October 2023

APM compatible wheels ^^^

QR2 compatible wheels ^^^

Finally, I don't think the QR has any impact on capabilities of the base, rather just creates a more secure connection. From reading posts one of the problems with the QR1 was mating of the connectors without having issues with the pins slightly misaligned and causing damage to the pins as well as a gap that could cause issues as well.

• edited October 2023

So if I buy the DD and use my steering wheel is okay? I didnt need the QR? And I can use all 12Nm?

In special notes appear:

• "Steering Wheels fitted with QR1 Lite Wheel-Side or QR2 Lite Wheel-Side will be limited to 8 Nm torque."