Centering spring "snaps" after excessive rotation (CSL DD)

I come from lower torque wheel bases, and I was quite excited of the torque my new DD unit can produce. I thought it would be fun to play around with the centering spring feature a little bit, since it gives you quite a bit of resistance. I started rotating the wheel until it started to wheel heavy, and then continued turning it, pretending that I'm going to break the imaginary spring inside. Funny, I thought.

To my surprise, after turning the wheel about 3 full rotations, all tension disappeared in a split second, and the wheel went totally loose. It was as if a physical spring had snapped in half inside the wheel base. I switched to another sim, and still nothing. The LED stayed on, but the rest of the wheel base seemed totally dead. It wasn't until I restarted the wheel base that the problem went away. The issue can be reproduced every time. It always happens at the same point of rotation, although this is different depending on the direction of rotation. 3 rotations to the left, about 2 and a half to the right.

Now, everything seems to work just fine after rebooting the wheel base, but I still feel like I've done something that I shouldn't. I can't find any information about this online whatsoever. So I'm curious. Is this some kind of protective feature to keep people from overstressing the wheel or the quick release? An easter egg for curious sim racers, perhaps? I'm kind of baffled about this.

Comments

• That's not an issue, that's a safety protection from the base to shut off after an excessive amount of wheel rotations.

Just... Dont do it.