Podium R300 Wheel - game crashes + unable to set into compatibility mode

Hello all,

I'm new to Fanatec and got my DD1 last week. So far I'm really impressed by the hardware and the feeling when driving. Unfortunately 4 out of my 5 racing games are crashing when using my DD1. With a gamepad, I don't have any issues. All windows, firmwares, drivers and engines are updated.

My setup:

Ryzen 3950 / RTX 2080

DD1, R300 Podium Wheel, ClubSport Button Cluster Pack, Advanced Paddle Module, ClubSport Pedals V3.

Games:

BeamNG.drive - runs perfectly, feels like driving a real car, no crashes

ACC - random crashes after 5-30 min (Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0y887A0006 'HUNG')

Dirt 2.0 - random crashes too

Forza 4 + 5 - I can drive forever without the game crashing except for when I finish a race. Then it's crashing to desktop after the xp reward screen and without any error message. In Forza 5, the key binding is not saved for the wheel so I need to reconfigure it after each crash.

What I've tried:

-update all drivers, firmwares, Unreal Engine, Windows

-roll back to v346 => still crashing

-hide DD1 and use vJoy/ForzaEmuWheel => still crashing

What I'm unable to test:

Set the wheel into combatibility mode - I can't figure out how to activate it. The podium manual only shows which buttons to press but doesn't describe the function at all. Nothing is happening when I press it or keep it pressed and I can't find any info on this on the net.

Does anyone of you know how to change the mode or even how to fix the crashes?

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Comments

• D3D device being lost is a issue with your Graphics Card, completely unrelated to Fanatec.

Is your GPU overclocked or so? Latest GPU driver is installed?

• Thanks for your reply Maurice. I have installed the latest nvidia drivers (497.09) and there's no overclocking in place. My system runs stable without the wheel and I have no crashes when playing with a gamepad. Other users seem to have problems too:

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24311/how-to-downgrade-to-v346-and-fix-crashing-forza-horizon-5

• The crashes in FH5 are game related, not Fanatec related. Also affects Thrustmaster and Logitech Users.

Game Developers need to fix that.

• edited December 2021

I understand that FH5 crashes are game-related but some users seem to be able to work around successfully. If I can't find a solution for the crashes, especially in ACC or FH4, the wheel is worthless to me and I will need to return it.

But I still hope that someone is able to provide help or explain how to set the wheel into compatibility mode. In the meantime I will test with a different pc.

• I have tested now with a different computer and Forza 4 crashes already after 2min in free roam on a 3080 :(

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Laurent,

Please check the Quick Guide for the Podium Hub (available in the Downloads section of the Podium Steering Wheel R300 and Podium Hub product pages). The mode switch button combination is shown on page 5.

When you switch, you should see the mode change on the OLED of the DD1.

However I don't think the crashes you're describing are related to the mode, and as Maurice was saying, it doesn't sound like they are related to the Fanatec hardware, although it is odd that you've experienced another crash on a different system.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Hi Dominic,

Thanks for your reply.

When I press the button combination as shown under 8b on page 5, nothing happens on the OLED of the DD1. The buttons work correctly in the games.

The crashes only happen when the wheel is connected. On two different stable systems that were running many games without problems. I don't see how this could not be related to the Fanatec hardware and I really don't know what I should do to solve the problems.

• I've found out why the button combination was not working, the left and right button module were installed on different sides, so I need to press a different combination as in the manual.