DD1 died in days

As the title says, bought this week and died with "Initial ping failure" message within 2 days. Worked fine after initial update, nothing else changed from last night to this afternoon. So the unit just gave up.

I have a PS5 and it's dead on that also, so no point troubleshooting this thing any further. Considering the most common fix I've found is a RMA, surely they shouldn't be selling these units?

Wish I hadn't even looked at Fanatec as they clearly have major issues with these units. Shocking really.

Comments

• I am sure Fanatec will ship out a replacement to you. Just the process can be a bit disheartening. Hope all goes well for you.

• They've been in contact and sorting out an RMA to replace. Sadly, I'm opting for a full refund as I've lost faith in the unit.

But I can't fault their support so far, especially as it was a Sunday morning.

• Well that's unusual , I have the DD1 and it hasn't missed a beat since I purchased it a year ago , I also have friends that have the same experience.

• I don't question that, and that is probably the normal use case. People are more likely to take to forums to complain... like me.

However, I've only used the unit for maybe 4hrs, the other 4 days it's been in a box. I'll have to send it back, then wait for a return. In that time, I could have another wheel/base by Tuesday. So for me, it's the an easy choice. FWIW I loved the DD1 when I used it.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited August 2021

That is so unfortunate. Everytime I purchse anything electronic, I always tell myself to expect a chance of failure... and having the heartache of returning. Esp even more so with computer components... Worse was when I got a motherboard and it failed outside of warranty after 1 year+

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi James,

I'm sorry to hear about this. This type of failure is really unusual and I hope that you allow us to address it so that you can continue to enjoy the hardware. There's no reason why the Podium Racing Wheel F1 shouldn't give you years of solid performance.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• I feel the same way. I have a new DD1 and have used it for about 5 hours or so. Now it shuts down within 5 min of use...very disappointed considering the money I spent. I upgraded from a Thrustmaster TX that I have had for 6 years without issues!